Has your garage become a dumping ground for all the things in your home you don’t know what to do with? Nearly twice as many new homes built today have garages than they did in the 1970s. Today’s garages are also larger than they used to be. Still, with all the extra space, more and more Americans are using the space to contain their excess of belongings, in an unorganized, cluttered manner.
Taking time to organize your garage might mean you finally have room to pull your car (or cars) inside. It could also reduce your stress, as clutter tends to increase stress. Are you ready to organize your garage but don’t know where to start? Here are a few tips:
- Ask for help. Organizing your garage isn’t a task you should take on alone. Seek help from a professional organizer or even a local cleaning crew to help you through the process. Gather your other family members to help as well.
- Sort your belongings. Sort everything in your garage into piles by category. Tools, sporting goods, camping, automotive and holiday decorations, to name a few. Once you’ve sorted everything, throw away trash, recycle what can be recycled or give away items you no longer want or need.
- Design a custom storage solution for your garage. California Closets can design your custom garage storage unit to fit your family’s individual needs for storage. Whether your garage is used for building or repairing, arts and crafts, or a place to store sporting equipment, we’ll design a custom storage solution that’s right for you. Shelving and hooks are also great for organizing and storing items in your garage.
- Give everything a place. Every item stored in your garage should have an assigned storage place. If necessary, label shelves or drawers to help you keep items organized and in their assigned spaces.
- Keep it organized. Once your garage is organized, make a plan to keep it organized. Whether this means planning time each month or quarter to reorganize your garage, or daily upkeep, maintaining organization in your garage will take some time and effort. Give yourself time and make it a priority.
Taking time to organize and de-clutter your garage will free up your space to be more useful. If you want a custom garage storage solution designed by California Closets, contact us. Our professional team will work closely with you to plan a storage solution that best suits your needs.
Is your garage used to store any unique or unusual items? How do you keep your garage organized? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
When considering custom storage solutions, be sure to stay up to date with the latest news and information about our diverse offerings and world-class service at Custom Closets DFW. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay connected!