Summer Decluttering Tips
Fixing up your Dallas storage solutions probably doesn’t rank very high on your list of things to do this summer. And who could blame you – who wouldn’t rather be at the beach? Decluttering may not be your preferred summer activity, but at California Closets, we are big believers in organizing your closets and organizing them often. While many people just limit to “spring cleaning,” we believe that sorting out your Dallas closet solutions should be done once per season. Let’s get started!
Seasonal Clothes and Your Dallas Closet Solutions
In order to keep your clothes in good condition while they’re in “off-season” storage, keep the following tips in mind:
- Clean: like other items you store away, clean your seasonal clothes before you store them. This will help remove any insects, dirt, or harmful chemicals that could ruin or discolour your clothing over the summer. In order to remove any pesky moths or mites, was your items in hot water. If the clothes are delicate, freezing them will also do the trick.
- Store them properly: if possible use thick hangers when placing seasonal clothes in your Dallas storage solutions. This will prevent the creasing that comes with wired hangers. Plastic bins work well for foldable clothing. Put the heavier clothes at the bottom and ensure there is some air circulation.
- Insect prevention: prevent moths from infesting your clothes by using some of our lavender scented sachets.
Organize Your Children’s Schoolwork
Now that school’s out, your kids may have brought home notes and projects and report cards and just tossed it into their desk, cluttering up their Dallas storage solutions. Take some time with your kids to help them properly organize their items. Here are some good guidelines:
- Keep old report cards.
- Throw away any assignments or tests, unless they are particularly proud of one.
- If your child thinks any notes may come in handy in the future, keep them, but put them in a duotang and then store them neatly on a shelf or in a closet.
Sweep Out the Garage
The heat is on and the mower is running. Regardless of the warm season, you should clean out your garage at least twice per year. Garages tend to accumulate a lot of stuff, so be diligent.
- First, take everything that’s movable out of the garage. Give it a good, thorough sweep.
- Clean any dirty equipment, such as the lawn mower.
- Take stock of what’s in your garage and the best way to store it. Then contact California Closets for more information on potential Dallas closet solutions for your garage.
- Get rid of anything that’s broken or has missing parts.
- Put it all back in, in an organized fashion.
Clear That Entryway!
Once again, school is out. If your kids aren’t coming and going constantly, then now is a good time to clear out the entryway and evaluate to see if there are any improvements you could make in terms of Dallas storage solutions.
- Take everything out and sweep the floors. Dust the crown molding and wash anything that has gotten dirty.
- Store kids’ backpacks in a closet for now – school’s out for summer!
- Match up shoes.
- See if there are any better ways to store your items in your Dallas closet solutions. Things like benches, cubbies, or scarf racks can have a big impact on your day-to-day clutter issues.
- Put everything back in an organized fashion.
Decluttering may seem like a hassle, but the pay off is always well worth the effort. For a free storage and decluttering consultation, contact California Closets to find out more about their Dallas storage solutions.